• One of the coolest things about Savannah is that those 21 and over can legally drink alcoholic beverages while walking around almost all of downtown. However, that means just one drink, in a 16-ounce-or-less plastic or styrofoam cup only. No glass or cans. To-go cups are available at downtown bars.
• If there’s a yellow bag over a parking meter, don’t park there. Yes, police will notice if you remove the bag and park there anyway.
• The city has taken great efforts to make sure there will be enough portable toilets for free public use during the three days of the 2008 St. Patrick’s Day Festival. For a map go to www.savannahga.gov/.
• New Rule: You cannot enter squares or medians for a parade-watching spot until 6 a.m. parade day.
Chatham Area Transit (CAT) and the city are partnering to offer three late shuttle routes out of downtown Fri. March 14, 8 p.m.-2 a.m. and Sat. March 15, 10 p.m.-3 a.m. They depart at Indian Street between MLK Jr. Boulevard and Fahm Street, and cost $10 per passenger.
Routes to choose from are:
1. To hotels near the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport.
2. To hotels in the Gateway/Ga. 204 area.
3. To hotels along Abercorn Street and to Oglethorpe Mall.
Regular CAT routes will also be in service with slight detours for the parade route. Extra buses have been added to the 10 East Savannah, 14 Abercorn, and 17 Silk Hope routes.
• Note: The regular free downtown CAT shuttle will NOT be in service the day of the parade.
Oglethorpe Mall shuttle
• For $5 round trip per adult, you can take a shuttle from Oglethorpe Mall to the corner of Oglethorpe Avenue and Houston Street on Fri., March 14. Children under 41 inches are free. Limit two free children per paying customer.
Tickets sold at Oglethorpe Mall only, under the parking deck near J.C. Penney. Round-trip tickets can be purchased March 14 between 7 a.m.-1 p.m.
• 7:30 a.m. first trolley leaves Oglethorpe Mall
• 1 p.m. last trolley leaves Oglethorpe Mall
• 5 p.m. last trolley leaves downtown to return to the Oglethorpe Mall.
The following city garages will be open 24 hours a day from Friday, March 14 through Saturday, March 15:
• Bryan Street Garage, Bryan and Abercorn
• State Street Garage, State and Abercorn
• Robinson Garage, York and Montgomery
• Liberty Street Garage, Liberty and Montgomery
Special event parking begins Fri., March 14, at 8:30 a.m. at $10 per day until Sun., March 16. The Liberty Street and State Street parking garages will resume normal hours, closing at 1 a.m., on Sun., March 16, and Mon., March 17.
Entry into garages is prohibited midnight-8 a.m. Sat., March 15.
• The Visitors Center Lot at 301 MLK Jr. Blvd. will be available at 7 a.m. Fri., March 14. Parking fee for Fri., March 14 is $10 per vehicle. Parking available at its regular rate Sat., March 15 and Sun., March 16.
Trade Center parking
Parking will be available at the Trade and Convention Center from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Fri., March 14. A fee of $10 includes parking and round trip water ferry.
Patrons will board a free shuttle in the parking lot area and will be dropped off at the Savannah Belles Ferry landing/loading dock. Patrons disembark onto River Street.